About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Why Did We Adopt Part 2 - Why did we adopt an older child?

For Part 1, see here...

Once we decided to consider adoption as a way of growing our family, we sat down and talked about what we could best bring to the table as adoptive parents. We decided that if we were to adopt, it would not be an infant. We felt that if we were meant to have baby, we should feel a desire to try to conceive. Since we didn't, we thought it would be a good idea to explore older child adoption.

When I say older child, I mean a child who is not a babe-in-arms. We were picturing a 2 or 3 year old. Maybe a 4 year old at the most. A child that we could "pass off" as a biological child, a child we could help mould and form. We were picturing a baby, just not a newborn.

If you have read any of my previous posts, you know we did not adopt a baby. Well, he is MY baby, but that is my definition as a mother. In truth, we adopted a tween.

How did we get there? Our adoption road was one that stretched our comfort zone. Hubby and I grew by leaps and bounds in the year-plus pre-adoption stage, with a lot of help from our social worker and adoption agency. What started of as an idea of adopting a toddler stretched to a preschooler and then to a school age child.

We came to know that in our hearts it didn't matter how old our child was, just like their eye color and gender weren't important to us.

It just mattered that they were ours.

Stay tuned to Part 3 - Why we adopted internationally

No comments:

Post a Comment